My Area of Expertise: Competitive Swimming

Katie Wight, Staff Writer

Competitive swimming is known worldwide and has been around since the 1930’s. Club swim teams practice and compete starting in early September and end late July, whereas high school teams practice and compete for about three months out of the year. When you’re on a club team, there are more events to swim during meets versus when you swim high school. For example, club swimming offers the 200 breast, 200 back, 400 IM, 100 IM and other events whereas high school swimming has a limited amount of events offered. Lastly, in competitive swimming, there are four main strokes: freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly.

I recently interviewed two Roosevelt swimmers about how they feel about competitive swimming. Marike Kay, 11th grade said: “My favorite part about swimming is the feeling after you get a best time in an event and you feel so proud of all the work you’ve done.” I completely agree with her statement. After putting in so much work and time into the pool, it feels great when you finally drop time in an event. I also asked them what they found challenging about swimming and Julia Stensaas, 11th grade said: “Working on specific parts of swimming is hard because you move your whole body to swim, so focusing on just breathing or arm movement can be hard.” While competitive swimming is fun, practicing can sometimes be challenging. Just when you think continuous laps are hard, try focusing on breath control and where you place your arm when it enters the water while swimming. There is a lot of technique that goes into swimming but it really pays off in the long run.

I first started swimming when I was about three years old and started competitive swimming when I was seven. I’ve been on the Minneapolis Otters Swim Team since 2nd grade and I have been on the Roosevelt team since freshman year. As a young girl, I wasn’t very healthy. I was really thin and had other health issues. My mom then decided to put me on the swim team to gain some muscle and improve my health. After my first year on the team, I had gained eight pounds of muscle and my health improved significantly. In my opinion, you choose to be an expert in something every day. If I wanted to, I could stop swimming for the rest of my life but instead I choose to practice and compete simply because I love it. I would say that I’m an expert in competitive swimming because I’ve been participating in it for eight years and because I’ve spent a lot of time learning from it.

While competitive swimming is lots of fun, it’s important to remember how it affects your health. According to swimmingpool.com, an hour of vigorous swimming can burn up to 650 calories. That’s why it’s very important to stay hydrated and take breaks when you need to to  prevent dehydration, nausea, headaches and body related injuries. Competitive swimming can also be very beneficial. For example, according to betterhealth.vic.gov, competitive swimming keeps your heart rate up, relieves stress, builds muscle and endurance and improves flexibility.

So if you’re looking for a way to get in shape, meet new people and have lots of fun, join a swim team!