Interview with a Roosevelt Alumni

Katie Wight, Staff Writer

The Roosevelt alumni I interviewed for this article is Katie Jones. She graduated from Roosevelt in 2016 and was very involved in the school and community. I chose to interview Katie because of the impact and achievements she made at our school and because she is a very positive role model. I interviewed Katie via email because she is currently in college in Wisconsin and even though the interview wasn’t in person, I really enjoyed reading her responses as to how Roosevelt has helped her become who she is.

1. What is your favorite memory from Roosevelt?

“I’d say my favorite memory from RHS would be meeting some of my lifelong best friends and also winning homecoming princess as a junior and then queen as a senior, and also being honored with the Athena award as a senior. They were very cool, fun and humbling experiences.” 

2. How do you think Roosevelt has changed since you attended?

“I believe the enrollment has gone up and I also live in the neighborhood so I have noticed more community involvement and more people saying more and more positive things about Roosevelt.” 

3. What are you doing now?

“I am currently a sophomore at UW Eau Claire studying sociology and I love it.”

4. What did you do in high school/ college that best prepared you for a career?

“Get involved. I was a 3-sport athlete all throughout high school and always had 1-2 jobs during the school year as well, it kept me busy and helped me to manage my time and held me to my responsibilities.”

5. What is your long-term career goal?   

“Eventually I would like to work for an organization helping/mentoring underprivileged kids and provide them with resources and opportunities that may not be easily accessed for them.” 

6. How were you involved at Roosevelt?

“I played tennis, basketball, and softball for all 4 years, I was a member of the national honor society, and a student ambassador.”

7. Did you stay in touch with any of your classmates after graduation?

“Yes, I have stayed in touch with a lot of my classmates and friends from other grades as well.”

8. If you could go back in time and give your RHS student self any advice, what would you say?

“I wouldn’t go back and change anything but I would probably tell myself to reconsider taking PSEO classes for college credit.”

9. Did you choose to go to Roosevelt or did you have to because of where you lived?

“I chose to attend Roosevelt.”

10. What advice would you give to students at Roosevelt?

“Stay focused and stay on track but take it all one day at a time.”

After reading Katie’s responses, I can say that I’m really looking forward to these next 2 and ½ years that I still have at Roosevelt. She makes school sound more like a fun activity rather than a boring lecture. I was very surprised to hear how involved Katie was during her time at Roosevelt. Being in sports year round as well as being in the national honor society, student ambassadors and having 1-2 jobs sounds like a lot of work. If someone were to interview me 15 years from now about my experiences at RHS, I would say how proud I am of our community. There is so much passion and hard work that students, staff, family and community members put into Roosevelt each day to make our school a great place.