Interview with Mr.Felton

Katie Wight, Staff Writer

1. How long have you been working at Roosevelt?

“This is the start of my 3rd year.”

1. What are some of your interests/hobbies outside of Roosevelt?

“I enjoy eating, working out, writing music in my music room. That’s where I keep the majority of my instruments: my organ, bass, guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, saxophone, flute. I also enjoy sleeping and doing yard work. And video games of course.”

1. What are you looking forward to this school year?

“This school year, I am looking forward to really establishing an identity for all of my classes and continuing to have each one of my classes and ensembles grow musically and exceed my expectations so I always set the bar high but when students exceed that expectation, it always makes the year go better. They know where I am and then when they exceed that, it’s like you’re using your fullest potential.”

1. Did you always want to be a teacher?

“When I was a kid I wanted to be a historian. My parents were like: why do you want to study history? And I was like I don’t know. I just always loved history but then I told them, when I was a kid that I wanted to go to Boston University and get my Bachelor’s in History so I could frame the degree. They were like: what are you gonna do with that degree? And I was like: frame it. And then, as I went through middle school and high school, I was like ok, this is what I want to do. I knew I absolutely loved music. I started learning how to play like 10 different instruments in high school, I was arranging music for the band. I became a section leader for the pep band and it was just continually growing and I was like yep, I want to be a teacher. So I spent a lot of time with my high school band director and asked him questions about what things he learned or noticed, or things that I could do to improve as a student and schools I could look at to teach and that was definitely something I wanted to do as well as perform but I specifically wanted to teach high school.”

1. What is your teaching philosophy?

“My teaching philosophy is I’m very student centered in the way that I approach learning but even with that, I very much so value the experiences that the students bring to the classroom. So while my classrooms are student centered, I always want to learn as much about the students backgrounds, their culture, their environments so that that informs how we can make the classrooms better; how we can make lessons more engaging and how we can make the classroom is general, more fun. So when students can contribute their own life experiences, and stories and things to the class, it makes them more engaged and I don’t have to worry about students not paying attention or not being engaged or not wanting to do what we’re doing because they’ve helped shape it.”