The sheer force of the RHS Badminton team

This is the badminton team this year .

This is the badminton team this year .

This is the badminton team this year .

“They are phenomenal. (The girls in the team are always)  really focused on teamwork and building community not just individual players. They do really well supporting each other,” coach Caitlin Hawkins  shared.

Ms. Hawkins who also teaches English 9, played badminton in high school. She has been coaching for three years.

The team format is: “Varsity is our top four players and out top three doubles and then junior varsity and exhibitions.”

Pa Kou Lee, a senior, first got into badminton in her freshman year of Roosevelt  “During 8th grade year,” she said ““I already had in mind that I will be joining badminton.” Pa Kou Yang, also a senior, first got into badminton in her  through Pa Kou Lee

“Across the team, they really support each other, and they’re really good at getting feedback,” Ms. Hawkins added.

Both are Varsity members, Pa Kou Lee had a great endurance during her game and Pa Kou Yang is a tricky player as you hardly predict where she gonna hit.

Pa Kou Lee shared : “Badminton is a fun sport and good exercise it help me stay involved”.

Pa Kou Yang said: “The strategy that the coach teaches us to love each other and support each other and communicate with each other is what I liked about badminton.”

One of the problem for the seniors are time management.“It’s so hard to balance school work and other clubs you’re in and then work.” Pa Kou Yang shared. But she says with hard work you can pull it off.

Also a Varsity member, Yazmin Cedillo Marin just started badminton last year as she growed to like it later on. “ It is really fun to play and really competitive.”

“She is a really great coach… She was teaching me about the ways I could improve.” As a senior, Yazmin also had work to do about time management. But she said “ It’s worthed.” After, scheduling for her days, she had to make sure that she won’t miss anything like College Possible for example.

Juliana Ortiz, sophomore and Varsity member, shared her first time playing badminton, “There was a click (saying) that I like it!” Juliana shared her story about joining in the badminton team.

“I was just looking up on the athletic website and then (oh!) I saw there was a badminton

Team…I told one of my friends I am going to join then she was like I wanna join ( too) … So we join together like it was really fun . I like doing smashes and which I like (and) need to improve.”

On Thursday May 19th, the team got a chance to participate in the pre-state tournament, Juliana shared: “Yesterday we had a tournament, we were bonding by playing games and then by also doing physical stuff so like if we hit and then you missed it you had to do a 20 second flack or jumping jacks.

“For me, my determination is that I wanna have badminton (for) like my 4 years.I wanna keep going and what I am looking forward next year the new girls coming in and then how best we come for next season and how we can we improve as a team more,” Juliana stated.                                                                                                                 

Le Ann Rasinski, sophomore, says:  “What draws me the most to badminton is having a supportive team and knowing they’re there to help.”