Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

How it has changed over the years

google.com

Sofia Clement-Potegal, Staff Writer

If you go to Roosevelt High School, you are probably aware of the school’s phone policy. If not, here you go. There are three zones, red, yellow, and green. Red zone means no phones whatsoever. Yellow zone means phones only used for academic use. Green zone means ‘knock yourself out with anything you want on it’. Hallways during class time is always red zone, and hallways during passing time is green zone. Each teacher controls their own classroom.

But that has not always been the case. A few years ago, the phone policy was zero policy, no phones whatsoever. “When I first came here 7 years ago, the rule was ‘I see it, I take it’. There was absolutely zero phone use, ever.” 10th grade English teacher, Ms. Sheahan- Spector, reminisced. But then it changed.

“When I came to Roosevelt, the policy was no electronics except during passing time and lunch. So the official policy was that there was not to be any electronics inside the classroom. Then it shifted to the way it is now.” Assistant Principal Ms. Kampfe explained.

“Our phone policy really wasn’t realistic, to tell high school kids that they can’t have a phone at all. It’s also not representing of the real world. When we go to teacher meetings and we go to staff developments and professional developments, almost every teacher has their phone.” Math teacher and assistant head football coach Mr. Flanders responded when asked why the policy changed.

Some teachers still don’t let their students use their phones in class. “Phones out of sight, out of mind.” AP Psych teacher Mr. Dymoke said about the use of electronics in his classroom.

Not all students like the phone policy, though. “They should be a little more flexible. You should be able to use your phone in the hallway during class time.” Sophomore Ian Caneff countered when asked what he would change about the school phone policy.

But some students do think the phone policy is fair. “ The teachers don’t want the student to be using their phones in the classroom. It’s their classroom and they are the one that is teaching.” Freshman Michael Ruelas responded when asked if he thought the phone policy was fair.

So, over the years, the phone policy has changed and been modified to the students liking. It seems to be working well for everyone.

1 Comment

One Response to “Roosevelt’s Phone Policy”

1. pedro peralta on March 16th, 2017 12:09 pm

stilling using those color zones for phone smh lol

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Activities

The History of Roosevelt’s Track Team

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

News

Experiences as an Exchange Student at Roosevelt

• Opinion

NBA Final

• Opinion

My Freshman Year

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Arts

Movie Review: Kedi

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Activities

Prison Ball

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Opinion

My First Year Flew By

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Opinion

Can Best Friends Last Forever?

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Showcase

Jeff Johnson: Designer Extraordinaire

• Roosevelt’s Phone Policy

Opinion

German schools vs. American schools

Roosevelt’s Phone Policy