A Journey to America

Life changing for African teens

google.com

Lelisena Abdurazak, Staff Writer

A journey is thought to be one of the best things a teenager  of my age dreams of doing. Journeys are different and may vary in many ways. Some journeys are short while others are long.

One major factor that determines a journey is the distance.  Shorter distances may seem wonderful and mysterious, a person may discover a lot in that short period.  Long journeys are also adventurous, but they might be tiresome at the same time.

Another factor that also effects the journey is the transportation facilities. The better the transportation, the more comfortable it is. A journey becomes rough when the facilities are old.

My journey to America was one of the main parts in my life. It started on November 8th, 2015. It was hard for me to leave my friends and most of all my mom and my four siblings.  As I was leaving, the place I used to live seemed beautiful,  although it was not. That day is still embedded in my mind as if it were yesterday. I remember everything clearly from the day I started preparing for the journey till my last day in Nairobi.

The worst thing I did on my journey was waving good-bye to my friends and family.  Little did I know that missing them would be so painful. I remember I wept tears that I still don’t know what they actually were for. Was I weeping tears of sorrow for leaving them? Or was the joy of going to America making me weep?

My journey consisted of three flights; the longest of all was from Dubai to Chicago which took almost took 14 hours.  While the others were from Kenya to Dubai and Chicago to Minnesota. It all took almost 30 hours; phew what an exhaustion that was . Finally, I arrived at my destination safe and sound.

Maryam Noor, a sophomore student at Roosevelt said, “ My journey to America was my first time on an airplane.  I used to wonder how could it be flying and my parents and other elders be like, ‘there are people inside it’. That never made sense to me until it was my turn to board it. Of course I was super scared, but I tried to overcome the fear by telling my mind ‘I’m going to America’. That was a really big deal.”

Bisharo, also a sophomore student at Roosevelt, said, “ My journey was on November 12th of 2013.  It was horrible on one side because all I had been doing in the airplane was screaming like lady Macbeth in front of the ghost, on the other hand it was good because coming to America was like going to safety. A place for me and my family, I believe that’s true for other passengers who are from my country too. ”

The journey from Africa is the most life changing  point for all African students, especially those whose countries are in war.

This article only covers what I experienced and a few other students at Roosevelt as well.